Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Keeping my Heart at Rest:

"Do not worry about anything, BUT PRAY AND ASK GOD FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED.ALWAYS GIVING THANKS. AND GOD'S PEACE, WHICH IS SO GREAT WE CANNOT UNDERSTAND IT , WILL KEEP YOUR HEARTS AND MINDS IN CHRIST JESUS.
Philippians 4:6-7

I am a classic worrier, I can worry about everything. Worry is stealthy, formidable and a sneaky enemy. My worry starts out as an acceptable human response, as soon as I give it room to grow in my mind it grows to occupy ever available space; kind of like the Ivy I planted from a small shoot that overtook my garden.

When I worry it makes me focus on my problems instead of God. Worry grows when I falsely believe that I can control the circumstance in my world, instead of recognizing that the God who loves me is in control of everything.

It is not easy for me but more and more I am learning that the way to eliminate worry is to pray. Praying constantly aligns my concerns with God's perspective. For me praying is more than asking God for help, it is surrender, worship and giving thanks. My focus changes, I start to see God's hand, feel His presence. Prayer is a personal reminder of God's love and faithfulness in my life. It brings comfort, hope, strength, encouragement and peace. It changes my mind about what is happening in my world.

There is not enough room for peace and worry to coexist in my mind. There is nothing passive about guarding my mind. It is a Greek military term, it paints a picture of a stronghold being protected by a vigilant garrison of watchmen, when I pray about my worries, God defeats the worry and replaces it with His peace, His peace is the watchmen over my mind and heart. Kind of like a guard standing at the door keeping my mind and heart free and clear of the clutter and cloudiness of worry.

So if you wonder what you can say, what can you do for our family during this challenging season, consider praying for us, and asking God to guard our minds and hearts in Christ Jesus.




No comments: